Maryland Learner's permit
Learn how to get your Maryland Learner's permit
Before you can apply for your driver's license, you will first have to apply for a learner's permit. To apply for a learner's permit in Maryland you must be 15 years and nine months old. You also will have to have never been licensed before, however if you are a new resident to Maryland and you happen to have a driver's license in another state you will still be eligible to apply for a Maryland learner's permit if the other driver's license has been expired for over a year.
How to apply for a learner's permit in Maryland:
- Pick up a copy of the Maryland driver's manual.
- You are required to show certification of completed learner's permit school, if you are 16 years or younger.
- You must bring your parent or legal guardian if you are younger than 18 years old.
Head over to your MVA office with your application and the following:
- Identification to prove your age and residency.
- Your Social Security card.
- Cash, credit card, or if you write a check make it to the Motor Vehicle Administration.
When you are at the MVA office you will have to pass a written and eye exam.
Your Maryland learner's permit will be issued if you pass both tests, and will be valid for two years.
You are required to always have a licensed driver who is 21 years of age or older sitting next to you when operating a vehicle with your learner's permit in Maryland.
At Licenseguides.Org, we've done all the research on driver's education for you. Check out the links below to find everything you need to know about driver's education training and requirements.