Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Renew your driver's license in Maryland
How to renew your driver's license in Maryland
You can renew your driver's license in Maryland in person at any MVA Office in the State or by mail.
When to renew your driver's license in Maryland:
- A Maryland driver's license normally has a validity of 5 years from the date of issue.
- You will receive a reminder postcard approximately 60 days before the expiration date.
- If your license expired more than a year ago, you have to take the written test and the driving tests again to get a license.
How to renew in person, make sure to bring with you:
- The reminder card.
- Your expiring driver's license.
- Social security number.
- The renewal fee of $30. This can be paid by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or personalized check (with driver license number and a phone number) made payable to Motor Vehicle Administration.
How to renew by mail:
You have the option to renew by mail if you receive the "renew by mail" package from the MVA. You are eligible for renewal by mail if:
- You do not have any physical or mental disability that may affect your driving.
- Your license was not suspended, revoked, cancelled or disqualified anywhere in the U.S.
- Your current driver's license is not a provisional one or one without a photo.
- You renewed in person the last time.
- Your name and address printed on the renewal application is correct.
You need to complete the renewal by mail application and send it along with a check or money order (made payable to MVA) for $30 to the MVA in the envelope provided. If you are over 40 years of age and are eligible to renew by mail, you need to get a vision specialist to complete and sign the Vision Certification' portion of the application that was sent to you in the mail.